It's still fall, we're in the thick of holiday season, and I know if you're a typical pumpkin-season-lover like me, you just can't get enough! Well, I'm here to help you out in your desperation for some variety in your pumpkin-lovin' diet!
This recipe for overnight oats is a little different than my usual approach. It still has awesome ingredients like pumpkin and protein to add some vitamins, minerals and balance to a typically carbohydrate-heavy dish. However, this time I chose to use steel cut oats!
Steel cut oats make this recipe more chewy and textured than the typically used old fashioned oats. I like that this version is not quite as mushy. Steel cut oats are also a bit less processed than their old fashioned, rolled counterparts, so there's a bit more work your body has to do do break down the more whole form of oats. More work for your body = more energy expended. That's a good thing! It's also one of the many reasons why whole foods are always my preferred source of sustenance.
Pumpkin Protein Overnight Steel Cut Oats
Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or regular milk
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- Optional toppings: shredded coconut, chopped fresh dates, chopped walnuts, cacao nibs, hemp hearts, or more chia seeds.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients except toppings.
- Distribute into individual serving bowls or mason jars, or just leave in 1 bowl and portion out as needed.
- Let mixture sit at least 4 hours or overnight. Sprinkle on toppings as desired!
That's it! Another super simple, go-to, balanced breakfast or snack recipe! Oh...and it's pumpkin, so, you're welcome. :)
-Instead of using the combination of all spices listed, use 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice plus 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
-This recipe can easily be doubled and will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 1 week.