And now...for your 2nd Edition of Protein Overnight Oats. I just can't get enough of this tasty, totally balanced variation on your traditional hot morning oatmeal. When I say balanced, that means the dish has a good ratio of protein, carbohydrates and fats to keep you satisfied longer and keep blood sugar levels stable - a winning combo for any meal or snack.
I'm also hearing from you guys that you absolutely loved the Carrot Cake Protein Overnight Oats, so here's another flavor to add to your roster: Zucchini Bread Protein Overnight Oats. It has all the flavors and textures of a delicious loaf of homemade zucchini bread...and who doesn't love that stuff?!
I just want to highlight again how incredibly simple and cheap this breakfast dish is. It takes about 5 minutes to gather and prep the ingredients, give them a good stir and shove them in the fridge to have a yummy, nutritious, satisfying breakfast ready and waiting for you the next morning. It's also so convenient when you have a family to feed on a busy weekday morning or a crowd staying with you. Easily double the recipe to make 4-5 servings.
The star of this dish is the zucchini! What kind of nutrition nut would I be if I didn't include veggies in a recipe I post? This one (which just happened to be about the size of my forearm!) came straight from my garden! I didn't even have to grate 1/2 of it for the 3 cups of shredded zucchini I needed for this recipe. That is one mondo zucchini!
In case you haven't noticed at your grocery store or farmers market, zucchini and summer squash are now in season, so they're likely less expensive, larger and more abundant. Stock up and include them in your cooking this summer...or just slice them up and snack on them raw.
Health benefits of zucchini:
This non-starchy veggie offers o good amount of:
- Vitamin C - an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damaging free radicals, keep your immune system functioning well, make collagen and boost iron absorption from plant based foods.
- Potassium - a mineral that supports heart health. It can help reduce blood pressure as it counteracts the impact of sodium in your body.
- Magnesium, a mineral that aids in muscle contraction and helps maintain strong bones.
- Fiber - great for digestive health and longer lasting satisfaction from meals.
Okay, now on to the fun part - how to make and enjoy this amazing meal!
Zucchini Bread Overnight Oats
Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (or your protein powder of choice)
- ½ cup greek yogurt (not pictured)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 ½ cups almond milk (regular milk or other milk substitute will work)
- Optional toppings: chopped pecans or walnuts, unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, zucchini, protein powder, greek yogurt, chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla extract and raisins.
- Add almond milk, stir well and store in refrigerator overnight or for 4 or more hours.
- Before eating, top with a serving of chopped nuts or coconut.
TIP: Double this recipe for leftovers the next day!