I have been dying to share this favorite recipe of mine for some time now! It's the perfect solution for a quick dinner, an easy brown-bag lunch, or a make-ahead pot luck entree!
These chickpea burgers are reminiscent of falafel, without the whole deep frying bit. When topped with the creamy, lemony avocado sauce and fresh veggies, then wrapped in a light, flavorful Flatout flatbread, they really are a delicious, nutritious meal the whole family or any group will love and ask for again, and again.
Every time I've made these, they have gotten rave reviews from meat-eaters and vegetarians alike! The fiber and protein in the beans and flatbread along with the healthy fat from the avocado make this a hearty, filling dish! What's that? Fiber and protein in a flatbread?! Yup. That's why I love Flatout! One of their 5 grain Flax Foldit flatbreads, for example, has 7 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber with only 100 calories and 19 grams of carbs. I'll take that over a big ol' burger bun any day to keep my meal balance in check. They come in all different flavors, shapes, and sizes and are always on hand in my fridge. If you want to try them out, look for them on the shelves near your deli counter in a store near you: http://www.flatoutbread.com/find-a-store/where-we-are/
Okay, now on to the goods! Get ready to add this one to the regular dinner rotation!
Chickpea burgers with Avocado-Yogurt Sauce:
Makes 8 burgers
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the chickpea burgers
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed & drained
- 8 scallions
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or coconut oil (for pan)
For the avocado yogurt sauce
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and freshly ground pepper - start with 1/2 teaspoon of each and add to taste
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 8 Flatout Fold It Flatbreads
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 8 lettuce leaves
1. Begin by preparing the burgers - add chickpeas, scallions, egg, flour, oregano, cumin and ¼ teaspoon salt to a food processor or high powered blender. Pulse until all ingredients are well combined and the mixture sticks together well. Stop to scrape ingredients down the sides of the container as needed. The mixture should be a bit coarse and moist.
2. Using a large spoon and your hands, form the mixture into 8 patties. It helps to moisten your hands just a bit with water to prevent the mixture from sticking too much.
3. Heat a large skillet or non-stick griddle over medium-high heat. I used the Cuisinart Griddler, which opens up flat and works perfectly for burger patties like this. If not using non-stick, coat pan with avocado or coconut oil. Add patties and cook until golden brown around edges, 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until golden brown on opposite side, 3 to 5 minutes more.
4. While patties are cooking, prepare avocado yogurt sauce: add all ingredients to a medium bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork or potato masher for a chunky consistency once all ingredients are well-combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate. This tastes best if brought back to temperature before serving.
5. Divide the patties among the flatbreads and top with avocado yogurt sauce, sliced tomato, cucumber, lettuce or any other toppings you like!
This is a great make-ahead meal. To make this in advance, just cover and refrigerate the uncooked burger mixture or cooked burger patties and avocado yogurt sauce for up to 2 days. Because of the yogurt and lemon juice the avocado won't cause browning!
This is a sponsored post. It was written by me on behalf of Flatout. All opinions are 100% my own.