Guacamole + Eggs = Guacamol-eggs!
Ready for a fun twist on deviled eggs? This delectable little treat is pretty similar to deviled eggs in presentation, but it's filled with delicious, creamy guacamole instead!
I took these as an appetizer to a pot luck dinner recently and they were gobbled up in no time! It was a nice surprise for everyone to see and try something new. The homemade guacamole is always a nice touch, but if you're in a real pinch for time, this dish can be thrown together in minutes with some pre-boiled eggs and some good guacamole bought at the grocery store.
Guacamooooooole! Sorry...I justcan't help myself.
Avocados may just be my favorite form of healthy fat. The primary type of fat in avocados is monounsaturated. This is the type of fat that is closely tied to better heart health, reduced LDL cholesterol levels, and can help maintain stable blood sugar levels. Don't get me wrong, I think I could take care of an entire avocado on my own, but no matter how healthy it may be, it's still an energy dense fat, so be mindful of serving sizes. Especially in guacamole form, avocado is really easy to devour with abandon.
I learned to make this guacamole from a friend's Mexican grandmother...from Mexico...so it's legit! Below I've outlined my general ingredient proportions, but you can feel free to increase or decrease any of the ingredients to suit your tastebuds.
This recipe doesn't include cilantro, which some traditional guacamole-makers would scoff at, so feel free to add some to your version if that would make you happy. :)
Makes: 24 guacamol-egg halves (with lots of guac leftover for other yummy purposes!)
- 1 dozen eggs, hard boiled
- 1 medium tomato, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (remove seeds to reduce heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, add more to taste
- 4 ripe avocados, mashed
- Peel boiled eggs, slice in half, remove yolks & set aside for another recipe...or feed to a very grateful dog :)
- Combine all guacamole ingredients in a bowl and taste to ensure it's to your liking. To adjust flavor, I add lime juice first, then a bit of salt if needed.
- Fill egg whites with guacamole and top with minced fresh chives (or cilantro, or any herb of choice). To make filling the eggs simple, transfer guacamole to a freezer bag and cut off just a tiny bit of the corner to squeeze guacamole out into eggs. It's just like piping icing onto a cake from a pastry bag.
- Enjoy every bite!
If you try this recipe, use #jeannereillyrd on social media channels to show me your handiwork!
Thank you, as always, for following me on Instagram/Facebook/Pinterest and sharing me with all your friends, family, coworkers and strangers on the street. :) I’m have availability for new clients at the moment, so if you know of any individuals or health-focused companies looking for nutrition consultant or coach, send them my way!